[HCDX] Radio Samora Libre

VENEZUELA

Not shortwave, but of interest nonetheless, I think: Via DX Tuners receiver
in Caracas, I regularly hear a station on 101.9 MHz playing music
interspersed with revolutionary slogans and identifications as "Radio Samora
Libre". I'm not 100% sure about the ID, but the name makes sense: Samora
Machel, a Marxist, was the first president of independent Mozambique and
remains a hero of the left, and this year is the 20th anniversary year of
his death.

Possibly a pirate, and this just may be co-incidental, but interesting to
note that 101.9 MHz has been allocated for future use to Venezuelan armed
forces radio, La Voz de la FAN, according to a newsagency report here
http://www.aporrea.org/imprimir_noticia.php?docid=73702.

You can hear a clip of Radio Samora Libre on the Interval Signal Online
website (http://www.intervalsignals.net) or directly here:
www.intervalsignals.net/files/ven-radio_samora_libre_170306.ram. I get the
gist of what they're saying, any Spanish speakers care to give a
translation?

Regards,

Dave Kernick

World Radio TV Handbook 2006 is out.