Good Evening to all of you !

Report from:
Bogdan Alexandru Chiochiu
4190 Edward Higgins
H8Y 3M9
(514) 685-0714
Equipment:
Sanyo MCD-S830 with ferrite bar antenna

530 TURKS AND CAICOS,   RVC, South Caicos JAN 13, 0227 - Man preaching at a very good level, but with some fading distortion and residual CIAO bubbling way under. (Chiochiu-QC)

555 ST KITTS,   ZIZ, Basseterre JAN 13, 0226 - Soca music, very poor and soon faded completly away. I was unable to completly null CHLN-550, but the adjacent channel slop was still very minor. (Chiochiu-QC)

600 CUBA,   CMKV, Radio Rebelde, Urbano Norris / Holguin JAN 13 0223 - Man in apparent Cuban SS dialect. The signal wasn't too bad, but co-channel QRM from WICC was rough; also some fading. SIO 311. (Chiochiu-QC)

750 VENEZUELA,   YVKS, Caracas, DF JAN 13 0228 - Man in SS mixing, under either WSB or weak CKAC-730 overspills. (Chiochiu-QC)

760 COLOMBIA,   HJAJ, RCN Cadena Basíca, Barranquilla JAN 13 0226 - Ads, very poor in WJR null. (Chiochiu-QC)

890 CUBA,   CMDZ, Radio Progreso, Chambas JAN 13 0221 - "Radio Progreso... nueve minutos" by man then apparent radio drama, but overspills from local-like WCBS were making this one essentially unlistenable. (Chiochiu-QC)

Poor condx tonight; short-skip dominated. Also, VERY mild weather; 10 degrees C more than the average for this time of the year. Someone told me yesturday that if all houses in the world were painted in white, then the average will be 1 degree lower. Of course, this is because the white is reflecting the sun, while the black is absorbing it making the objects and streets radiating warmness. The question is wherever this is affecting DX ? Despite, excellent local-like short-skip signals, I had nothing in the mid distance between the 580 and 590 reception. I had a high-frequency growl around the high side of 590 as well as between 590 and 600, but this is more a local noise rather than needed Morocco-594. In fact, no TA and nothing decent from Latin America either. This sub-par Latin logs would have been nice in the spring or summer, but for January standards using an excellent portable in a pretty good QTH like the West Island of Montreal, this is misery.

Another low-light was the absence of Vietnam-7220 for a nice possible SWDX catche. I saw on playdx the stimade collegue José Miguel Romero Romero catched this onein eastern Spain, but the signal didn't reached this side of the pond or perphaps the Sangean CST-818 and the long-wire splitter antenna system combo isn't so powerful. I have more fun and plesure DXing MW with my Sanyo MCD-S830 AM-FM boombox portable, but SW using the above described equipment. Still, hadn't logged nothing from Bolivia or even Peru on SW, altough this summer had presumably Radio del Pacifico 4975. I'm looking forward logging these countries when someone on Cumbre, playdx or HCDX will have a great reception during special condx. I also wonder if anyone in North America, outside NF, ever logged Bolivia on MW. Since I'm just 18, I'm not aware of the spectacular long-haul MW foreign catches made in NA during the so popular Monday Morning Silent Periods. I know that in NF, Radio Canarari 1550 was logged a few times, but is that all since 1933 since the NRC begun ?

I wish all of you a super-great week-end !
Be the good DX with you !
Bogdan Chiochiu

World Radio TV Handbook 2006 is out.