[HCDX] BBC gives South African youth a voice - live from Soweto

BBC gives South African youth a voice - live from
Soweto

World Have Your Say, the BBC interactive radio and
online radio programme broadcast by BBC World service
has teamed up with local South African youth station Y
FM for a special live broadcast from the heart of
Soweto.  BBC presenter Ros Atkins will host the hour
long debate with Y FM?s presenter Leslie ?Lee?
Kasumba.

The broadcast takes place on Monday, 22 May at 20.00
local time which is 18.00 GMT and 19.00 BST.
Listeners can take part by sending their opinions and
questions via SMS text message: +44 77 86 20 60 80 by
telephone: +44 20 70 83 72 72 via email:
worldhaveyoursay@xxxxxxxxx or online at
bbcnews.com/worldhaveyoursay where audiences can also
listen live.

Ros Atkins, World Have Your Say presenter said: ?We
are excited to be broadcasting live from the heart of
Soweto with Y FM. Young people are the future of
Africa and we want to give them an opportunity to
debate the topics most important to them and bring
their voices to a global audience.  We also want
listeners, especially young people across the world to
text, email and phone us and use the BBC to talk with
each other and be a part of this global dialogue.?

Bondo Ntuli, Y FM?s Programme Manager said: ?Y FM is a
groundbreaking urban radio station.  We have set many
trends over the years which is why we are now the
country?s most popular youth station.  For many young
South Africans we define youth culture.  Our listeners
expect us to create platforms allowing them to engage
with other young people on issues that interest and
concern them.  Partnering on this special broadcast
with a world class station such as the BBC World
Service proves that we are listening and responding to
them.?

BBC World Service programmes can also be heard
nationwide through SABC, in Cape Town on Bush Radio
89.5 FM: in Durban on radio Hindvani 91.5 FM, in
Johannesburg on 1485 AM Radio Today and in KwaZulu
Natal on Radio Khwezi 90.5 FM and 107.7 FM.  BBC
programmes can also be accessed via Multichoice DSTV
channels 50, 51 and 52.Also listen in 6190, 3255,
21470, 21660, 15420, 11940, 9630 and 6190 KHz SW
frequency

Ends

For more information contact:

Mark Sandell, Editor, World Have Your Say, BBC World
Service (in South Africa)
Mobile: +44 (0) 7802 907 432 mark.sandell@xxxxxxxxx

Fiona Crack, Producer, World Have Your Say, BBC World
Service (in South Africa)
Mobile: +44 (0) 7810 698 477 fiona.crack@xxxxxxxxx

Christine George, Assistant International Publicist,
BBC World Service
Tel: +44 (0) 207557 1142; christine.george@xxxxxxxxx

Note to editors:

BBC World Service is an international radio and online
broadcaster delivering programmes and services in 33
languages.  It uses multiple platforms to reach 163
million listeners globally, including SW, AM, FM,
digital satellite and cable channels.  It has more
than 2,000 partner radio stations which take BBC
content, and numerous partnerships supplying content
to mobile phones. Its international online sites,
which include audio and visual content and offer users
opportunities to interact directly with world events,
receive more than 330 million page impressions a
month.

YFM 99.2 is South Africa?s first and original urban
rhythmic station playing the best mix of original
Urban South African music and international artists.
Today YFM?s has over 1.342 million weekly listeners.
YFM also broadcasts news that takes a localised angle
on stories and has regular traffic updates, sporting
bulletins and weather round-ups.  Visitors to its
online site www.yfm.co.za which receives over 330m
page impressions a month, can access news,
competitions, a forum and profiles for all DJ?s and
find out about its magazine Ymag.

World Radio TV Handbook 2006 is out.