[HCDX] Phillips LW / MW transistor

Hello to all of you !

I just go back in one of my basement's room where we have several used and repair-needed radios to found the Phillips LW / MW transistor that my grandmother (who passed away in Nov. 2002) gived me as a gift. As most of you know, I borrowed it to someone on a camp who actually broke it. What is happening is that there is a very loud sound on all the empy channels especially when the volume is in the moderate to loud positions but it is almost omnipresent even on lower levels and that it is very hard to tune in precisely weaker stations. It is very difficult to tune in much of anything except for locals. Of course SSB helps pulling in DX especially in situations where you have to deal with adjacent channel QRM, however the dull sound is really annoying.

It's so annoying I have trouble hearing the UL beacon on 248 kHz LW. I wonder how I will be able to log any Euro LWers, since this radio is ? (used to be) and will be if someone helps for repairing, really awesome; as good as my Sanyo in terms of sensitivity - the selectivity is not too good but on LW this is hardly a problem. Also this radio have some sentimental value to me, since it was gived to me by my grandmother. It is thiner than the Sony 2010 wich helps since I'd like to log France Inter 162 Allouis, Algeria-252 (and 153 obviously) and other while walking outdoor and breathing some fresh air while DX'ing. Still a CT DX'er wich I'm in touch with pointed to me the address of a Hawaian DX'er who is selling this thing, so I might go this way too.

I'd really like some help with this radio; I have never actually meeted a DX'er (failed to meet Dario Monferini of Italy who visited Montreal in the summer of 2003, but very unfortunately this never materialized). It will be nice to talk to someone more experienced than me in MW reception, antennas, repairing radios et al. I had a lot of trouble installing the Twin Coil ferrite loop to my Sangean and it didn't really worked well though.

I will talk with my mother about the Sony 2010 receiver - I heard all goods about this radio and that even with it's built-in ferrite bar antenna it's a powerhouse on MW, certainly better than the CCRadio. However it appears to be having slightly distorted sound wich is not very pleasant for music listening, I need to connect my own tape recorder (maybe could connect the Sanyo one with it) and you'll need Kiwa replacement filters for TA-DX since the stock filters are too wide. This are the only odds about this radio, but it will certainly beat my Sanyo in the 800-1000 kHz range allowing for reliable reception of YVRQ-910 at home without the Roberval and Bangor Maine (WABI) QRM.

However, since the Phillips is a thinier portable that I can carry on my hands while walking, I need some advice on this radio. Maybe Sheldon, if time permits and aren't too buzzy, you could help here. I know you own an HF radio shop, maybe you know how to repair radios too, please, please, please.

Otherwise, I should leave now; hope to still awake at 1AM when Spain is experiencing sunrise as to get Madrid-585; it will be really nice if I could get some decent audio from them (though I'm tired now).

I have to leave now - hope to get some stuff in the car (but I most end with mostly a bunch of CKEC),
Any help on the Phillips LW / MW transistor will be GREATLY appreciated !
Be the good DX stuff with you !
Bogdan Chiochiu in Montreal

World Radio TV Handbook 2005 is out.
Order yours from http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0823077942/hardcoredxcom