[HCDX] KPFT & The KKK

Found this while looking for some coverage on Hurricane Rita; on the way, I found this which I thought might be of interest.  Note the last paragraph....

The nearest we got to this happening in New Zealand occurred a number of years ago when a young Dunedin guy set fire to the 4XD Dunedin transmitter building because they were interfering with his reception of 3ZM Christchurch.

The full history can be found here:

http://houston.kpft.org/site/PageServer?pagename=About_KPFT

How KPFT got started
KPFT was founded by journalist Larry Lee, who convinced Pacifica to establish an independent listener-supported station in Houston. Lee felt it was important for the Houston community to have an alternative voice to standard radio fare and, as a realization of this vision, KPFT first took to the airwaves on March 1, 1970.  The first sound to emanate from 90.1 FM was the song "Here Comes The Sun" from the then-brand-new "Abbey Road" album by The Beatles.  Just two months later, however, on May 12, 1970, the KKK blew up the KPFT transmitter, and the station was off the air for a few weeks until repairs could be made. Several months after returning to the air, on October 6, 1970 - the transmitter was bombed again!  This time the damage was more extensive, and KPFT was off the air for more than three months!

BTW, one Hurricane Rita link I did find is to KTRH Houston:

http://www.ktrh.com/audio.html

Paul

World Radio TV Handbook 2005 is out.
Order yours from http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0823077942/hardcoredxcom