[HCDX] Log of Ecuador

6050 ECUADOR, La Voz de los Andes, HCJB, Quito SEP 20 2253 - w/ huaynos, commercial ads at 2258 ("...todo el país") mentioned at the end of one of them followed by religious announcements with mention of the Christ (a masochist, by the way), then ToH ID "Desde Quito, transmite HCJB...690 kHz...50 kilovatios..." followed by nx. Fairly listenable signal despite static scratches and each few songs pops-up of overloading noise (from the biggest local pest in Pierrefonds, CFAV-1570 "Radio Boomer" a few kilometers near the south shore of the Laval island in Saint-Dorothée) using the long-wire, no overloading, but  few computer noises without the long-wire. (Chiochiu-QC)

Bogdan Chiochiu in Montreal (Pierrefonds), QC
Sangean CST-818 receiver w/ random wire in our interior yard

Latin American signals were practically inexistent on MW over the last 3 evenings and very poor on Saturday, though on Sunday early evening, it was nice to hear Guinea Equatorial on 5005.

Otherwise, along with the lack of any MW Latins, I also seem to loose the interest in Latin American music and music in general. I was in the car-radio this evening and much of the music on the radio boored me, with very few exceptions. Also, the medication I was taking to combat chemiotherapy side-effects disturb my sleep periods and activities and make me mostly useless. This week, despite having chemiotherapy only on Monday afternoon, I missed school both Monday and Tuesday and today had extreme difficulties waking up + I had a total lack of concentration on the first two periods.

The only positive thing, is that my mother promissed me he'll buy a Drake R8B if I pass all my exams. It seemed to me that the price of this receiver have decraised over the last few months / years, from fairly close to 2000 $ to around 1000 $ more or less, depending if you buy it used or new. The problem is that I'm only good at human sciences (geography, history, etc.), languages and listening and the theories of propagation (how the signals skip, etc.), but don't really know at all how to experiment with phasers, ground systems (I only know the basic - to put a wire into water or like I did when I started tropical DX'ing in 2000 when I attached a wire to the telescopic antenna wich was the main antenna and connected the other end to the floopy disk of my computer wich since made in metal acted as a conductor for weaker signals), etc. so I think I may need some help from another DX'er (pretty complicated). I tested the Loop one week ago and on several frequencies, there seem to be enhancement, but not only signals, noises too. I couldn't tune out the Loop for aplifying a specific frequencies (it has a tunable dial for amplifying signals at let's say 900, 910, 920, etc.). By the way, I was mistaken, it's not a Quantum loop, but a Twin Coil Ferrite one. Has anyone any comment about this antenna ?

Well, that's it for now !
Be the good DX stuff with you,
Bogdan Chiochiu

World Radio TV Handbook 2005 is out.