[HCDX] Loggings from this late afternoon and early evening

[HCDX] Loggings from this late afternoon and early evening

Bogdan Chiochiu
Report from:
4190 Edward Higgins
Pierrefonds, QC
H8Y 3M9

Equipment: Sanyo MCD-S830 w/ internal ferrite bar antenna
                 Sangean CST-818 w/ long-wire antenna

1470 unID (perphaps YVSY in Carúpano, Sucre) SEP 10 0015 - very threshold w/ Spanish folk music for maybe 4 seconds, then faded out. Shortly after NOS (ME) and sports domestics faded-in to briefly fair. Only Latin presence on the AM dial tonight if I exclude a note of tropical drum heard on 1080 (very shortly before WTIC faded in); the DX was killed by powerline noises appearing at 2100 EDT (0100 UTC), still going strong as I type this right now at 0150. (Chiochiu-QC)

5005 EQUATORIAL GUINEA, Bata SEP 9 2341 - 2300 - w/ back-to-back African music (old ones as well as modern Hi-Life one). Break at 2253 with talk in a local language with mention of either "Banga" or "Bata" then the last tune was played until about 2256 when it switched to anthem followed by a few seconds of dead air, followed by carrier cut. Mostly poor, faded to fair at times, but become good and better during the last song. First time taped ! Nice ! Around 2301, just before I tuned to Morocco(Chiochiu-QC)

9575 MOROCCO, Medi Un, Nador SEP 9 2302 - news in AA with liners between the items to 2310, followed by the longest AA tune I've ever heard; still going on with the same tune at 2356 when blowed away by extremely intense splatter from China Radio Int'l via Havana, //6020 (Chinese tx toward Europe). I've already heard a very few soft AA songs - probably religious oriented - lasting over 10 minutes, but this one beats all the records with the exception of the Koran chanting I heard on Mauritanie-4845 a few years ago. I believe what I heard was a religious oriented tune too. Always nice to listen to this station; it's almost pure DX - it's regular, but never extremely strong like BBC-9575 or other too easy things. And the music is often really exotic. (Chiochiu-QC)

9840 UNITED STATES, WWL New Orleans, LA via WHRI in Noblesville, IN SEP 9 2308 - giving phone number, then call-ins from listeners. One of them talked about having cell. phone, then woman called in giving a phone nb. (985) 892-2276 for emergency followed by announcer talking giving dates on when the schools will open, then what sounded like www.sppc.org announced by a woman. Also heard two phone numbers, one of them was 1-888-830-3170. WWL ID at 2231 followed by nx. One of the items were about NO's residents looking for their pets ("...dog, cats and even larger animals (!)...") in order to save their lifes. News announcer IDed as "The Big 8-70 WWL" at the end of the newscasts followed by ads, then  continuos around the clock coverage of Katrina with phone-in from a man in accented english wich speaked very fast. Almost excellent on peaks, though faded down to very poor from time to time. Usually good. The reception was better when using just the Sangean's telescopic antenna; with the long-wire the signal was poorer and suffered from some overloading from extremely strong CFAV "Radio Boomer" powerhouse on 1570 (ex. Radio Nostalgie). CFAV is just a very few kilometers from my house and some slight splatter can be heard from them as low as 1500 kHz on my Sanyo. CJWI is hard to listen on the car-radio (on my Sanyo I can null out some of the 1570 splatter to listen to 1610, but...) (Chiochiu-QC)

That's it for now !
Be the good DX stuff with you,
Bogdan

World Radio TV Handbook 2005 is out.