Re: [HCDX] Antenna wire, suggestions?

Hi Patrick,

Saw your question in hard-core-dx about the antenna wire options.

I have used the insulated house wire over the years myself (for various
shorter antennas), and it works well. They do make a #14 Romex in insulated
house wire, which would be both lighter and small diameter. Whether it would
stand up to a given storm is the question.

Another option, they make a steel based bailing wire that's available in
harware stores on a small roll for a very cheap price. It's about 18 gauge
as I remember, but not insulated. It's also very light and strong and I feel
would be okay for a 100 foot run.. Not sure if the non-insulated wire is an
option for this run (or the steel based wire).

Good luck with your antenna.

Bill, WE7W
Delray Beach, FL

P.S.
Been a ham for many years (1963), although not active in the last 5 years or
so. I'm getting back into shortwave listening again, which I've also done on
and off through the years. Can't seem to kick radio, although I'm not much
interested in hamming anymore...

World Radio TV Handbook 2005 is out.
Order yours from http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0823077942/hardcoredxcom