[HCDX] Queen Charlotte adventures and loggings 22/7/05

[HCDX] Queen Charlotte adventures and loggings 22/7/05

Well another morning has passed, and conditions were MUCH superior to yesterday's for sure! I began dxing a bit later at just before 11:00 UTC and immediately found the bands to be alive. Most split frequencies had good hets on them. The big difference was the value of my short 120' random wire running very close to E/W. This was the best wire for many split frequencies, mostly because of the attenuation of North American signals, allowing for the numerous TP signals to propagate. That short length of wire provided excellent dx right up until sunrise at which time the ambient noise on that antenna rendered it useless for MW. This is in stark contrast to yesterday when that antenna was next to useless except on SW. My number 1 big puzzle (please help!) is 1575, which generally was stronger than the usually stronger 1566 HLAZ. I tuned in 1575 just before 13:00 to hear: "National Anthem", followed by a short possibly an anthem. Faded down quickly, but thought I heard "Armed forces" as well. Could this be one of the Japanese AFN stations? Generally I heard reasonably good signals from all over the Pacific, without any one region dominating. Perhaps Japan was best if I had to pick.
At 7:30 local, my father-in-law picked me up and we went off to the beach at Tow Hill to go after more Dungeness Crab, and Razor clams. I had slipped on my wet suit while dxing (a feat in itself!). Unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate to yield anything substantive. On my first crack at the Crabs, I was able to wade out to chest depth and easily see the large male crabs on the bottom. This time, the weather was gorgeous...warm and sunny, but there was a Northerly wind resulting in big swells and crashing waves churning the sandy bottom and making it very difficult to see. I ended up with only 5 medium sized male Dungeness crab, and after some time of not seeing a single large crab, I gave up and headed to shore to dig clams. I had a bit more luck quickly filling a bucket with good sized Razor clams. As the name suggests, the broken shells are very sharp. There were a number of expert Haida clam diggers. Somehow, they're able to use their shovel, and quickly grab the siphon before the clam retracts it. The clam itself is usually about 2 feet or 60 cm under the surface. As for me, out of the bucket, I was successful two or three times to grab the siphon. The rest of the time, I'd dig down with my hands and by feel, I'd slowly pull up the clam. The siphon although retracted, is still just reachable, with perhaps 1/2'" or 2 cm still showing. Once the siphon is pinched, you carefully lift the clam. I'd never make a living at this, but after some 45 minutes I did fill the bucket with some nice large clams. The very best of the clam diggers can harvest several hundred pounds per low tide, compared to my 20 pounds or so. Tomorrow will be my last chance if the weather cooperates, that is. If the wind dies down or swings around from the south, then I'll likely try things again. If not, I'll probably pass and concentrate on dxing Alaska a little longer in the morning. I was just listening to KFBX Fairbanks on 970.
More on my house construction. As always on the Charlottes, nothing is easy or straight forward. At this stage, we have our power shed, a 6 by 10 foot structure or so on a concrete pad. It must be within 100' of a power pole, or they'll put in a power post at a cost of several thousand dollars. Needless to say, we built the shed. It'll be useful for small storage, and power access for things outside. It's about 40 feet from our home. The power will go to the house underground for aesthetics, and I can't help thinking that radio-wise it will be better too. The electrician was here yesterday adding a 200 amp panel to the shed. Now BC Hydro, our power authority can deliver the power line to the shed, once the permit is issued. Next week, I suspect. Then, we'll have power! Speaking of power, though, there are some concerns regarding electronics. The Charlottes power is primarily derived from diesel generators, compared to 99% of the rest of the province which is hydro (dam) generated. We have no nuclear power plants, nor coal or gas burning plants in BC. With frequent outages (often caused unfortunately by birds shorting the lines), voltage spikes are inevitable. Will the electronics be protected with regular surge protectors, or better yet line conditioners? If not, how can I reduce or eliminate the risk of damage, short of running everything on 12v only.
The concrete forms were poured last week. They still have to pour a skim coat for the crawl space (3') and add the stub walls, on which will sit the wood structure itself. Everything was looking just fine on Wednesday when I arrived again, but I noticed the contractor pulling them apart again! Evidently, he measured one last time and noted the wall to be 1 1/2" off. The fellow measuring, forgot to take into account the width of the plywood forms, i.e. 2 time 3/4". If he hadn't checked thinks simply would not have fitted. Better that he found the mistake when it was relatively correctable! The rest of the concrete will be poured any day now. We have the septic system all laid out on the east end of the property. The well should have been dug a while ago, but the only well person on the islands had his drilling rig vandalized and it's out of commission for a month or two. We're now looking for alternatives, including hiring an off-island company from Terrace, B.C. We grappled with the depth of the well. Wanda had thought artesian was the way to go, down up to 275'. However, the brave few who have (at GREAT expense too!) have found the water to be smelling of sulfur and not at all palatable. The table is only some 10 feet down. We'll likely compromise and descend 30 or 40' to ensure good quality water. The fresh water here is very dark, as it meander through the muskeg, presumably from the tannin in the water? I wonder how on earth the fish can see anything in the rivers! By digging a little deeper, I'm hoping to avoid this discolouration, and prevent surface water contamination from run-off. There are a lot of black-tailed deer on the islands, as well as black bear, and assorted rodents.
Yabo, our enterprising young man who has completed the shell of the post and beam red and yellow cedar construction will also be erecting the building on site, as well as finishing it to wrap-up stage hopefully before the fall monsoons. He began transporting the lumbar today to our site. The various materials required to erect the structure, and add the floors and walls were ordered Monday from Prince Rupert on the mainland, and should be delivered by late next week. Transportation costs to the islands have added another 15 to 20% to our already rapidly escalating costs. Ouch! Well we can't stop now. I'm just looking forward to our end result and all the fun I'll be having dxing.
I've considered the antenna issue again. Wanda won't tolerate easily visible wires obstructing her views. The wire I have in ample supply is a white teflon coated multistrand wire, identical to that used at Grayland, WA. I had purchased many miles of the stuff and various other odds and ends including coax, ground cable, etc, all for about $35 at a government auction. No choice on wire colour. Sorry Wanda! While exploring yesterday our neighboring properties, I realized that the lot on the east may be an ideal place to conceal some wires. EWE, Kaz, or Pennants could very easily be put on that property, and fed with a short length of coax back to our home. Furthermore, I suspect some mini-Beverages up to 400' in length could also be run. Having traversed the site, it would be a very difficult property to develop, so I'm hoping it will remain "dormant" for many years to come. Of course if it is developed, then I'm back to some of my earlier plans to erect antennae across the road to the south of the property, for example. Furthermore, with many tall Spruce trees on the property, one could erect some traditional antennae such as dipoles and delta loops, and have them high enough that they wouldn't be noticed, at least not by Wanda!

To end this segment of my DX adventures, here are some loggings from last night and this morning. I'm taking part in a world-wide virtual coastal dxpedition, linking dxers from the United States, Canada, Scandinavia, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand, and perhaps elsewhere. I'll be eager to read their loggings! Here they are:

180 RUSSIA Radio Rossii, Jul 22 10:59 - A much better morning with a much superior signal. Maybe I should have arisen earlier!. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

530 ALASKA ADK, Adak, Jul 22 11:52 - First time heard here (although regularly heard in Grayland, WA). Fair to good with ADK in Morse. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

612 AUSTRALIA 4QR, ABC Brisbane, Jul 22 11:55 - Australian talk show, with the 'Australian point of view', on Iraq and Australian involvement. 'ABC' at 11:58, then faded out. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

650 ALASKA KENI, Anchorage, Jul 22 13:02 - Looking for KHNR, Honolulu but instead heard this Alaskan. Good with a weaker co-channel. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

670 ALASKA KDLG, Dillingham, Jul 22 03:57 - Good reception of 'The World Cafe' well over the usual cochannel KBOI, but as is so often the case, presumed KDLG faded down just at the top of the hour, so no definite ID this time. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

670 HAWAII KPUA, Hilo, Jul 22 13:00 - What a difference a day makes. Yesterday it was Dillingham, AK on this frequency at this time. Today, ID for this Hawaiian instead at good level. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

693 JAPAN JOAB, Tokyo, Jul 22 12:00 - NHK2. 3 + 1 time pips. Strong signal, with 'NHK, Let's learn together', then same in Japanese. Konichewa. 'Hello listeners. I hope you're studying hard this week. OK, let's get started.'. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

702 JAPAN JOKD Kitami, Hokkaido, Jul 22 12:02 - NHK2 with 10 kw. Several cochannels, but did catch 'Number 5', as part of the English lessons. Also can here likely 2BL Sydney. 'ABC news heard at 12:05, and 'ABC Sydney. 5 minutes away from....', and into play by play sports, with 'Australia leading'. The NHK2 English lessons were also heard on two commonly heard stations home in Victoria on 747 and 774, both very strong here. 'Did you bring the tickets? I just wanted to make sure'. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

760 HAWAII KGU, Honolulu, Jul 22 13:09 - 'You are listening to Back to the Bible: Your questions, God's answers'. I'm thinking this is most likely the Hawaiian. Good reception. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

792 AUSTRALIA 4RN, Brisbane, Jul 22 12:10 - EZL music, then English. Assuming this to be ABC National, Brisbane. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

870 CANADA CFBV, Smithers, Jul 22 14:19 - One of the local stations heard hear at armchair level, with local ads. Wonder how far out this one is heard? Patrick Martin, I'm sure you've heard and verified this one!. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

890 ALASKA KBBI, Homer, Jul 22 14:21 - Time check for 6:21 and local Homer ads. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

891 AUSTRALIA 5AN Adelaide? and 4TAB Innisfail?, Jul 22 12:15 - 2 cochannel Australian accented stations. Sports scores at 12:17. My guess is that I'm listening to both of these Australian stations. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

900 HAWAII KNUI, Kahalui, Jul 22 12:20 - One of my favourite stations when vacationing on Maui. Lovely Hawaiian music well over local station, but faded out before any definite ID, and Victoria's 'Village 900' became dominant. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

970 ALASKA KFBX, Fairbanks, Jul 22 14:22 - Time check for Fairbanks, and local job opportunities. Poor with lots of atmospheric noise. Local programming. Not bad for 5 kw in the morning, with the sun high in the sky! Heard again the following evening at 03:57 with more local ads, and mentions of Fairbanks, but as frequently happens, it seems, it faded away just before the TOH, so no ID, but back up at 04:01. My luck!. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

1035 NEW ZEALAND 2ZB, Wellington, Jul 22 12:30 - Good reception, with a call in program giving a 0800 phone number, but faded very rapidly. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

1116 AUSTRALIA 4BC, Brisbane, Jul 22 11:02 - Two cochannel stations heard here, one in English, presumably Brisbane, and a Japanese language station. Best on my near E/W 120' random length of wire, over the 2 Beverages available to me!. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

1134 JAPAN JOQR, Tokyo, Jul 22 12:38 - Fair reception with Japanese talk, and many 'Hai's' heard. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

1170 ALASKA KJNP, North Pole, Jul 22 13:59:50 - Good strong signal, over a weaker co-channel with 'You are tuned to 1-1-7-0, KJNP North Pole Alaska'. I had to look up on GeoClock where North Pole was. Clearly no where close to the actual or magnetic pole, so why the name?. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

1242 JAPAN JOLF, Tokyo, Jul 22 12:41 - Presumed logging with Japanese talk. 'Tokyo' mentioned. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

1242 JAPAN JOLF, Tokyo, Jul 22 11:17 - Weakly audible in Japanese. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

1269 JAPAN JOFM or JOHW, Hokkaido, Jul 22 11:20 - Good reception of this Hokkaido based Japanese station, and the strongest TP I've heard yet today. Parallel to JOHR, Sapporo on 1287, also at good strength. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

1287 JAPAN JOHR, Sapporo, Jul 22 12:43 - Good reception. 'Hokkaido' mentioned, as well as 'HBC Radio' (at least it sounded like this to me!). (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

1296 NEW ZEALAND 1ZH, Hamilton, Jul 22 12:46 - Only 2.5 kw, with 'Newstalk ZB', and email and 0800 phone number given. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

1503 AUSTRALIA 2BS Gold, Bathurst, Jul 22 12:51 - English programming, and a guess on my part. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

1503 AUSTRALIA 2BS Gold, Bathurst, NSW., Jul 22 11:40 - Initially a strong het and weak audio, but improved. Played oldies (western), so not Radio Sport. I'm assuming then, 2BS. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

1575 UNKNOWN unid, Jul 22 12:55 - Fascinating. I just tuned to this frequency, and immediately heard in English, 'National Anthem', and into a possible short NA. Faded rapidly, but not before I thought I heard 'Armed Forces'. Who could this be? Ideas please? AFN from Japan??. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

3235 PAPUA NEW GUINEA Radio West New Britain, Jul 22 13:29 - S6 to S7 signal, with the usual very enjoyable PNG programming, with a real local flavour. Announcements at 13:38. Off sometime by the TOH. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

3279.58 ECUADOR La Voz del Napo, Jul 23 0534 - Rosary programming in Spanish, and then into modern Spanish vocals. I'm listening as I was typing last night's loggings. Good reception except for atmospheric noise...the bain of summer listening!. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

3325 INDONESIA RRI Palangkaraya, Jul 22 14:02 - Good modulation and relatively slow speech in Bahasa Indonesia with many mentions of Palangkaraya, so likely a local program. Not parallel to 3345 Ternate. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

3340 HONDURAS HRMI, Jul 22 04:21 - Presumed logging with impassioned preaching, but too weak to be sure whether it was in English or Spanish. The tropical bands tonight are much weaker compared to last night. SF 73, A index 24, and K (at 03) 3. Minor GM storms measuring G1 (I think). Nothing expected for the next 24 hours according to WWV. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

3344.96 INDONESIA RRI Ternate, Jul 22 13:40 - Parallel to 3325 Palangkaraya with a sports play by play. Lots of mentions of Bali, Pontianak, Kalimantan, and Gorantalo. Great reception on both. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

4753.41 ?BRAZIL Radio Educacao Rural, Campo Grande, Jul 22 04:27 - This is my guess for my unid. of last night, and still here today. I listened for a while, and it appears to be in Portuguese, hence my guess. Any verification from out there?. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

5025 CUBA Radio Rebelde, Jul 22 04:35 - Rebelde is back with a much stronger signal than last night, but still suffering from slop, from a very messy transmitter on 5030.07 (University Network, Costa Rica with Dr. Gene Scott rambling from beyond the grave!). (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

World Radio TV Handbook 2005 is out.
Order yours from http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0823077942/hardcoredxcom