[HCDX] CENTRE TO LAUNCH TWO NEW MUSIC CHANNELS

[HCDX] CENTRE TO LAUNCH TWO NEW MUSIC CHANNELS

CENTRE TO LAUNCH TWO NEW MUSIC CHANNELS

	Chennai, June 29: The Centre will soon launch two new
music channels, one for Hindustani Classical music and
another for Carnatic Classical music, Union Minister
for Information and Broadcasting Jaipal Reddy said
today.

While one of the channels would be started from
Lucknow, the other would be launched from
Tiruchirappalli in Tamil Nadu. Both these channels
would be available on DD DTH platform, so that lovers
of classical music could avail this music in digital
quality for most of the time, he said.

Releasing 'Akashvani Sangeet' CDs and Cassettes of
doyens of carnatic music, late M S Subbulakshmi,
Alathur Brothers and 'Ariyakudi' Ramanuja Iyengar, at
the music academy here tonight, he said the
Doordarshan DTH now had space only for 33 channels and
17 more would soon be added when these two new music
channels would be 'mounted'.

Stressing that All India Radio (AIR) would also focus
on folk music, Reddy said 'we have decided to go in
for huge expansion of FM radio in the private sector.

We will set up 330 AIR stations throughout the country
in as many as 80 new cities, thus laying more focus on
growth rather than on earning more revenue.

Reddy said the first phase of the private sector radio
expansion did not succeed in full as lot of emphasis
was laid on revenue earning rather than on growth.
"Now, I am reversing this priority so that people will
be able to enjoy more radio in general and more radio
in the private sector".

In an obvious reference to the All India Radio losing
out to private FM channels, he said all efforts would
be made "within our powers to see that radio is
revived."

Speaking about the proposed music channels he said:
"The golden voice of M S Subbulakshmi, Alathur
brothers and of others would be available now to
everyone", he said adding that music and peace were
intertwined. "Where there is music, there will be
peace".

Reddy said Doordarshan's DTH was the only
'free-to-air' DTH available in the world today. The
unique feature of it DD DTH was that 'we are able to
accommodate all the radio channels in it'. "We are
also planning to release AIR folk music in digital
quality. Our entire archives, the richest in the world
today, had been digitalised by harnessing the latest
technology".

The Prasar Bharati now had all the speech of leaders
like Mahatma Gandhi, Sardar Patel, Rabindranath Tagore
and all Prime Ministers and Presidents. "All these
have been preserved in digital form. The problem with
the Prasar Bharati is that we have lot of good things
but do not know how to disseminate them".

Paying encomia to the music doyens whose CDs were
released today, the minister said Government cannot
remain 'indifferent' to the fate of arts. Governments
should be eliminated from intervening or interfering
in arts. The AIR had played glorious role in promotion
and preservation of classic music.

Jaipal Reddy said historically the All India Radio in
the country had rendered greater service, be it
Hindustani music or Carnatic music.

"We have record of 10,000 hours of classical music. We
have rare recordings of doyens of both the music".

Reddy handed over the first CD of Subbulakshmi to
another maestro of Carnatic music, Balamurali Krishna,
the CD of Alathur brothers to the Editor-in-Chief of
'The Hindu', N Ram and the CD of Ramanujam Iyengar to
Gauri Ramnarayan, a music critic. (Agencies)
(Via http://www.chennaionline.com)

Regards & 73?s

Mukesh Kumar
MUZAFFARPUR
INDIA

Free antispam, antivirus and 1GB to save all your messages
Only in Yahoo! Mail: http://in.mail.yahoo.com