[HCDX] Auroral conditions today and tonight as well

Hello to all of you !

About 40-50 minutes after school, I tuned to shortwave and couldn't hear much with the exception of Radio Marti. Medi Un (Radio Méditerranée Internationale) from Nador, Marocco was almost inaudible on 9575 and Africa Numéro Un on 9580 wasn't audible at all. These two stations are the strongest African signals here in Montreal.

On MW, there is almost no skywave; WICY Malone, NY is all groundwave with what sounds like extremely weak QRM from co-channel WIKE Newport, VT on 1490. Nothing else, not even WPTR-1540 (well 1570 is extremely strong here and with my Sanyo and Sangean oriented N-S it even splatter on the 4th adjacent the CJWI Haitian local, but...).

For DX'ers in southern Massachussets like Mark Connelly, this means a good oportunity to log Argentina or Brazil. I hope to get LR1 Radio El Mundo on 1070 kHz; the semi-local station in Plattsburg drop power around sunset, this is the good thing with the NRC/CRTC nighttime QRM rules; the stations drop power beetwen sunset and sunrise even if there is no skywave due to intense auroral conditions.

Well, I have to leave now to continue DX'ing !
73 and good DX,
Bogdan Chiochiu