[HCDX] REMOTE FLORIDA DXing SITES

REMOTE FLORIDA DXing SITES

By Terry L. Krueger
May, 2005

I have ?road tested? quite a few locations across Florida since the late
1970?s for portable band scans (primarily MW, but also LW, SW and FM BCB at
times).

There are a handful of sites I keep coming back to for (mostly) Cuba MW
monitoring.  These sites seem to work best because of their geographic
pluses and generally low power grid line noise.

I thought I?d share these sites with you and include some brief comments,
including some of the non-DX pluses for each location.  With summer almost
upon us, maybe you will give a few of these sites a shot.

Note: in the pre-9/11 days, it wasn?t very hard to obtain permission for an
overnight stay from park ranger headquarters.  Now, it appears that you will
have to jump through a lot of silly and unwarranted hoops.  I say this
because I entertained the thought a very small gathering at Ft. DeSoto (see
below) last summer, only to be turned down.  I did not pursue the
declination, which was based on ?security? issues.  That said, the bulk of
my site observations are based on DXing during park hours, which in Florida
are generally from opening (8:00 a.m.-ish) to local sunset.  This is overall
not a problem for me, since my greatest interest is Cuba MW, and daytime
scanning is the primary opportunity for catching most of the relevant
aforementioned DX on water path.

Equipment has varied over the years, but currently consists of:

1.	The car radio (presently a semi-old digital readout Alpine AM/FM/CD
unit).
2.	RadioShack DX-399 portable.
3.	RadioShack portable, non-active loop (Cat. No. 15-1853 -- no longer in
production).

Sometimes I may also pack the old GE Superadio III, Russ Scotka active
ferrites loop, NRD-535 and/or roll of wire.  But it?s been quite awhile
since I was that energetic to take at least the latter two, and if on a trip
that involves an overnight stay, the bulky gear is not taken for obvious
reasons.  Of course, an ample supply of batteries, writing pads and
reference books are always packed.

CANAVERAL NATIONAL SEASHORE (north end entrance, south of Apollo Beach)

DX-VANTAGES: Yes, the infamous home of many overnight CanavDX group all-band
monitoring sessions through the 80?s.  It?s been a few years since I have
been here solo, but to not mention Canaveral would be The Great Rock ?n?
Roll Swindle.  This is a killer location for post-sunset DX to Africa and
Europe on LW, MW and SW.  There are miles of unobstructed beach and dunes
for antennae, and bathrooms at some parking areas.

DISADVANTAGES: Mosquitoes, drug runners, drug users.  Remote, with no other
provisions available south of New Smyrna Beach.

NON-DX PLUSES: Awesome beaches and surf.  Close to New Smyrna Beach, Daytona
Beach and the JFK Space Center.

LONG KEY STATE RECREATION AREA (Middle Florida Keys)

DX-VANTAGES:  Situated far enough away from Miami and Key West crowds and
noise, this is an ideal location for MW DX from Cuba.  Several of the
Jamaican MW outlets have been logged daytime from here, and it?s the only
place I?ve ever been able to consistently log the elusive Radio Bahamas
ZNS-2 on 1240 and always at a nice level.  Some Bahamian FM?ers make it in
here as well.  Check for 96.7 MHz Radio Rebelde, probably the strongest
Cuban FM signal.  The parking lot to the left (near the boardwalk and
restrooms) offers a lot of shade opportunities to park under.  Quiet; almost
no park visitors every time I?ve made a MW band scan from here (usually an
approximately two-hour session).

DISADVANTAGES: Can?t think of any.  Oh, how about mosquitoes.

NON-DX PLUSES: Overnight camping (reservations in advance), with most sites
directly on the water.  The very tiny township of Layton has a couple of
mom-and-pop restaurants and store for basic provisions if camping.  Nice
boardwalk and nature trail.  Location is about half-way between Key West and
the mainland.

FT. ZACHARY TAYLOR HISTORIC STATE PARK (Key West)

DX-VANTAGES: Unless you have a boat, this is as close as you are going to
get to Cuba.  Lots of  benches under shade trees by the water.  Concession
stand and restrooms.  Close enough to any Key West hotels or bed & breakfast
for bicycling, driving or (if you are really energetic) walking.

DISADVANTAGES:  The powerline/RF may be a little higher here due to the
proximity to homes and buildings, but never a problem for daytime MW for me.

NON-DX PLUSES:  Family-friendly beach (though rather rocky), close to all
the amenities of Key West-proper.  Nice 1840?s-era fort and surrounding
historic displays that is open for self-guided tours or with a park
ranger-led group tours at designated times.

FT. DeSOTO (Pinellas County Park)

DX-VANTAGES: Good site for MW from the western half of Cuba as well as the
Florida panhandle area.  Gulf coast FM is also good.  There are lots of
parking lots, trees, benches, restrooms and concession areas.  No matter how
busy the weekend visitor numbers may be, there?s so much room out here that
it never feels crowded.

DISADVANTAGES:  Powerline/RF levels may be present (power poles are
above-ground here), but I have never experienced any issues in the daytime.
It might be possible to discreetly DX solo at one of the 24/7 pier parking
lots without being detected by park Nazi?s, who otherwise may insist you
?fish or leave.?

NON-DX PLUSES:  Easily the best beaches in Pinellas County are at this
boomerang-shaped island.  The county park is on par or surpasses many state
or National parks.  Very nice overnight camping lots; most are on the water,
all shaded and multiple bathroom/shower facilities spaced between lots
(reservations in advance).  Ft. DeSoto is located only a few minutes? drive
to St. Petersburg and Tampa.  Wind sail surfing on East End Beach, kayaking
(including rentals), in-line skating and biking trails.  Also, two great
fishing piers ? a 500-foot and 1,000-foot ? are open 24/7 for anglers. This
is one of the top migrating bird viewing areas between North and South
America/Caribbean, especially in spring.  One nice nature trail (just off of
the Arrowhead picnic area) as well as the circa-1898 Spanish-American War
building foundations trail near the long pier, which also offers a view of
the Egmont Key lighthouse across the shipping channel.

HONORABLE MENTIONS

I?ve done a little listening at the below:

BAHIA HONDA STATE PARK ? the first island after Marathon and the Seven-Mile
Bridge.
EVERGLADES NATIONAL PARK ? Everglades City Visitor Center parking lot.
CHOKOLOSKEE ? the island located just south of Everglades City.
LAKE KISSIMMEE STATE PARK ? located just off SR-60 in the center of the
state.
GULF ISLANDS NATIONAL SEASHORE ? any beachside parking lot near the extreme
west end of Santa Rosa Island (near Fort Pickens).

Terry L Krueger
Clearwater, Florida
USA
27.55.83 N, 82.46.08 W

Visit my "Florida Low Power Radio Stations" at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~tocobagadx/flortis.html