[HCDX] SPR4

I have been comparing the SPR4 with my R8. Both are very close on
sensitivity, at least in the AM mode. The noise floor of the SPR4 is
lower than the R8 I think. It is quietier. I am very impressed with this
receiver. It is in excellent shape. Anything in the AM mode of
groundwave on MW that I can hear on the R8, I can hear on the SPR4. I
think the audio amp in the R8 is stronger though. But the SPR4 is one
quiet receiver. Even the electric fence noise does not get into the SPR4
as much as it does on the R8. However, I did find a noise blanker for
the SPR4 I am ordering. Now to get the SSB filter and the AGC mods. It
will be a good backup for the R8. I DO like Drake gear. It is a shame
they are getting out of the communications receiver business, per my e
mail from Bill Frost there at Drake. This is sad. But they will continue
to repair the R8, R8A, R8B, SW1, SW2, and SW8 receivers for sometime to
come.

73s,

Patrick

Patrick Martin