[HCDX] the DX heard the past night

Hello !

I was so excited about getting YVRQ on the car-radio, so I went on a drive with my father, despite I had a buzy day (went to downtown Montreal to buy CDs; 2 of the CDs were of Latin American music, one with "cumbia" called "Greatest Cumbia Classics Of Colombia" and the other one with Venezuelan Andean and "llanera" music; I will talk more about this on the LatinMWDX forum). In the car we heard excellent reception of RVC-530 wich played some very nice Spanish salsa influenced and rock influenced gospel music and did read messages from the Bible like when Jesus (wich never really existed, by the way) said I'm the way to God and when he walked over the water, basebal game from Radio Rebelde (CMKV-600 Urbano Norris) over WICC (wich wasn't well behind Rebelde; WICC Bridegeport, CT was stronger than the other night, sign there was less Aurora), tentative Radio Carupano mixing with WBT on 1110 and YVRQ-910. However the RQ signal was fair at best (at tune-in) with a plaintive love ballad by a female singer and ID with mention of AM Center and lottery. During the middle and the end of the road, RQ-910 was completly buried under a domestic mess (wich might have included WABI Bangor, ME; if WABI wasn't transmitting, I could get YVRQ as well as RVC, without any QRM, on all the nights, aurora or not). On the domestic side of the things, the lack of aurora helped me pulling out WLAM on 870 out of Portland, ME with ID the during top-of-the-hour newscast wich is a new one for me.

I also listened to some distant FM signals. When I was in the parking with my father buying something from a store in Pointe-Clerc (another place in West Island) I enjoyed hard rock music from CKQB (106.9 The Bear) out of Ottawa wich is over 160 kilometers from Montreal. They played "Breaking The Habits" from Linkin Park and other even harder tunes I didn't know of. On 106.1, I got énergie 106.1 (the call-letters CIMO aren't used anymore) out of Magog, QC and CHEZ 106. On 106.1, on the Happy Hour rock show, the music was better than on the 94.3 énergie outlet of Montreal, wich played a boring and ugly John Cooker masochist classic rock tune. I heard the great Linkin Park remix of Depeche Mode's Enjoy the Silence electro-pop 1989 classic followed by New Year's Day by U2 from 1987, then the female DJ of énergie 106.1 sayed that New Year's Day was a very great tune and that it was one of those songs you can play over and over several dozens of times on one day with out getting bored. I don't like to hear the same music over and over (I listen to a broad variety of music styles), but it is indeed a great song. When the female talked about the U2 song, a new car arrived in the parking wich caused another distant line-of-sight FM signal to come mixing it, it was CHEZ 106 playing a 70's hard rock tune. I wish there was less hard rock and rock'n'roll on the classic rock stations and more progressive rock, by the way. The progressive rock music have more instruments and more ambiance due to the use of synthesizer in it, so a much better sound and quality. I haven't heard any e-skip on FM this winter, despite late November, December and early January is considered to be the mini-Es season, but haven't tried very hard either (I can't try on TV anymore, because we have cables on almost all the TV sets in my house; the only one without cable is a black and white portable TV where the pictures are jumping on the weak signals !). I'd like to hear a Spanish-speaking station via Es being domestic, cuban or whatever... I only get Spanish-speaking DX on MW and SW. Florida have a number of Spanish stations on FM. Cuba wich is the only country possible via single-hop skip (though long-haul single-hop skip of at least 1580 to 1600 miles) have a strong station on 91.7 in Havana, Radio Coco. However we have CKLX "Couleur Jazz" wich since about 2 months or so broadcast on 91.9 wich will block it, unless I have a very selective tuner with a directionnal Yagi antenna, something I can't afford at all. By the way, as I talk about Couleur Jazz, it is an interesting station that I occasionally enjoy listening to. It sometimes plays some great Acid Jazz tunes as well as some nice Cuban and African rythmic music like son or afrocuban jazz. I wish though they played less classic jazz and blues music though. I find blues songs too happy and classic jazz ones not enough melodious. But the great trompets-like synthesizer sound of acid jazz and the exotic Latin and African rythms make Couleur Jazz an interesting station to listen to.

Well, that's it for now !
73 and good DX,
Bogdan Chiochiu---[Start Commercial]---------------------