[HCDX] coax antenna?

I have discovered an interesting "antenna" I have purely by accident. I
think I mentioned I lost my NNW beverage due to the neighbors taking
down the trees. Well the two hundred feet of coax running West is still
out there buried in the ground. I hooked it up to the R8 and guess what?
It has a very strong lobe to the North!! Why I haven't a clue. Infact
during the day CFUN 1410 Vancouver is listenable on it. No other antenna
picks it up that well. I notice it on other Vancouver stations too.
However, there is one big problem with it. There is a very high
"whoosing" noise level on the bottom part of the band up to about 1200
khz. It sounds like a bad ground type thing. Not man made noise. It is
like one of the conductors is not connected type noise. A solid noise
that does not vary in strength. Now at night I don't notice it as the
signal levels over power the noise.  I would really love to use this
coax antenna. Do you know how I can get rid of that bad ground type
noise? I wonder if I plugged in a matching transformer at the end would
take care of it? Any thoughts. It sounds rather interesting as the
signal levels are pretty decent if it wasn't for the background noise. I
find the coax running West would be that directional to the North, but
also my 40 foot vertical seems to have some Northerly directional
properties too.  Any thoughts? Thanks.

Patrick

Patrick Martin
Seaside  OR