[HCDX] Re: Tangier radio stations

Several stations had facilities of their own. One of
the stations
closing down on Oct 29 1956 when Tangier lost its
international
status was Pan American Radio. They were on MW, same
channel as
Hörby, and sw 7290. According to their printed
schedules and
illustrated pamphlets, they regularly received
reception report from
all over the world to their offices at the Pan
American Building,
16, Delacroix, in Tangier. They had regularly sceduled
programs in
Spanish, English, French, Italian, Arabic and Hindu. I
have a QSL
from 1955.
In 1955 some receiver manufacturers, such as the
Swedish Philips and
Dux companies were conducting test transmissions from
Tangier under
the auspices of a company called Intercontinental
Radio Company S.A.
The idea was to start commercial programing from
Tangier. Shortwave
listening in Sweden was seething at the time, with
tens of thousands
of people regularly tuning in to foreign stations
while the sole
national network, the state owned non-commercial
Radiotjänst, was
having a break (2 hours in the morning, 2 hours in the
afternoon and
also from 2230 to 0600). Finally a few religious
broadcasters,
notably Ibra Radio, started broadcasts from Tangier.
They were
refused the right to operate from Swedish soil. The
Swedish
government subsequently tried to stop their broadcasts
from Tangier
by witholding the funds Ibra Radio were sending to
Tangier to build
their premises. It was illegal to export this money,
about 2M Sw.
Crowns of the day, the government said. The banning
attempt was
thwarted by the members of the pentecostal church who
started to
send small individual contributions by mail to
Morocco. The
Moroccans had to open a special post office to take
care of all
these postal money orders. The activities of Ibra
Radio, Norea
Radio, The Voice of Tangier (WTAN) and the VOA
continued some time
after Tangier lost its international status. But in
Sweden the
Swedish monopoly stayed put. Only in the early 60´s,
in an answer
to pirate broadcasters Radio Nord and Radio Syd (also
banned),
Swedish radio listeners could enjou a national music
channel. For
political reasons, commercial or community radio in
Sweden would
remain banned for many more years.
Henrik Klemetz

 --- Jari Savolainen <jari.savolainen@xxxxxxxxxxx>