[HCDX] Catholic Radio Network PNG Transmitter delayed

Wayne Wilson of T.E. PNG Ltd. in Boroko emailed me this status report of the
new PNG transmitter for 4960 kHz, after I inquired of CRN if the station was
operational:

"Dear Guy: Fr. Mlak has passed on your enquiry regarding the delivery of the
SW transmitter for Aitape.  It was delayed due to technical problems with
the transmitter driver PCB which are apparently sourced externally by the
factory.  Now this has been solved and the transmitter should be shipping
from the factory this week.  We would certainly be interested is your
reception report once the station is up and running.  The main radiation
from the antenna is designed to be high angle, near vertical incidence to
reflect back to PNG and out to about 1000km so it will we interesting to see
if the signal reaches the US. The other stations in the 3200 ? 3400 kHz band
are meant to be running 10,000 watts whereas the Vanimo CRN Tx will be 1000
watts."

I thanked Mr. Wilson for his reply and asked for an update when testing is
about to begin, as well as clarification about the transmitter location
(Vanimo or Aitape). If I hear further details I'll pass them along to
Hard-Core-DX.

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA

World Radio TV Handbook 2004 is out! Only $20.97 through us.