Re: [HCDX] Article about recent jet collision on Falklands

Re: [HCDX] Article about recent jet collision on Falklands

> Look under the WEB-side
>
> http://www.mercopress.com/breaks/penguin.html
>
> the side of Penguin-News from the Falkland Islands for a
> more detailed report about what´s happen last monday.

On this same page there is also an item about the station manager of the
Falkland Islands Broadcasting Station:

Station Manager is football fan and coach

THE newly appointed Station Manager of the Falkland Islands Broadcasting
Station, Steve Johnston (40) arrives in the Islands on Tuesday.
   The new Manager recently returned from the United Arab Emirates (UAE) in
the Gulf. He was most recently a programme director of a commercial station,
2FM. In three years in the UAE, in Dubai and Ajman, he helped to set up two
radio stations in the Gulf and to develop a third.
   His radio career began in 1984 with Sony Music UK, where, as Sales and
Radio Promotions Manager, he came into contact with many pop stars. In 1996
he became Roadshow Co-ordinator with E MAP On-Air until going to the Gulf.
He freelanced as a commentator on several radio stations in Northern
England, in Manchester, Leeds and Liverpool, where he was a regular football
commentator.
   In an interview with Mercopress, the new Manager disclosed that he is a
football fanatic like his predecessor, Patrick Watts, who retired last year
after a distinguished career as Manager of FIBS. Mr Johnston, born in
Blackpool, lived in the Wirral and supports Tranmere Rovers, which  s
over-shadowed by the football giants across the River Mersey, Liverpool and
Everton.
   He has also qualified as a football coach for under sixteens, which could
keep him busy in his spare time, as Patrick Watts and the Shackleton
Scholarship Fund have been seeking a football coach for Falklands
youngsters.
    He has two teenage sons of his own and is divorced. Asked why he wants
to go to the Falkland Islands, Steve Johnston said he has always wanted to
travel and explore the world to get to know other peoples and cultures.
(MP)

Ever since I started DXing in the 70s FIBS was one of my dream catches,
along with NYAB-Bhutan :) Has anyone on this list actually heard FIBS
recently (i.e. since the Falkland war?)

73
Mike Brooker
99 Wychcrest Ave.,