[HCDX]: DX Listening Digest 00-78 June 22

[HCDX]: DX Listening Digest 00-78 June 22

DX LISTENING DIGEST 00-78, June 22, 2000 edited by Glenn Hauser, wghauser@xxxxxxxxxxx

{Items from DXLD may be reproduced and re-reproduced only providing
full credit be maintained at all stages and we are provided exchange
copies. DXLD may not be reposted in its entirety without permission}

THIS WEEK ON WORLD OF RADIO 1041: See topic summary at
http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio/wor1041.html

** AUSTRALIA. Last Friday morning at @1230utc, driving to work, I
heard the most unusual and strange music I'd ever, ever heard on SW,
on Radio Australia 9580 of all places. It was like spoken word meets
hip hop meets East Village arty weirdy meets Firesign meets oh I
dunno. And it went on and on, like 20+ minutes w/no ID. At first I
thought it was some massive Radio National late night screw up, as if
all the feeds played at once on top of each other. Later I snooped
around on their website and found out it was part of a Friday night
(local time) show called ``Sound Quality`` which has been around
awhile on Radio National but is now on RA SW. Here is the explanation
of the ``piece`` I heard: ``This week is a little different to a
normal program.... (snip) ....then we go to the program within this
program...it's called , ``500 hours free`` it came about as a
response to the merger of TimeWarner/AOL... a couple of Australian
radio broadcasters and their friends produced a radio piece which was
aired simultaneously on a number of community radio stations on the
night of Wednesday, Feb 9, 2000 and netcast on L'audible.... it is a
piece that has a political statement, but also carries a message of
interest to those who enjoy sound...`` end quote. Like I say it was
mighty strange and funny too, it is said to be archived at
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/music/soundqlt/squal160600.ram Judging from
some of the ``Sound Quality`` back playlists it looks like the series
(Fridays, 1205-1300utc) is just the sort of thing fans of John Peel's
style would enjoy, and that would include me. By the way, Mike Cooper
tells me Peel will return to the BBCWS on July 4. Best wishes, (tom
roche, Atlanta, June 21, WORLD OF RADIO 1041, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

We later listened to the entire show and found it quite amusing (gh)

** BOLIVIA. Hello everywhere, some days ago I got a very nice QSL-
letter from Señor Erwin Freddy Mamani Machaca, the station manager of
Radio Mallku in Bolivia. The letter contains a lot of information
concerning Radio Mallku. I hope that it will be of interest to some
of you. Here now the details:

Personal and ownership structures

The staff of the station consists of exactly two persons. The just 22
years old Freddy Mamani calls himself as program manager of Radio
Mallku. He is the leader of  the station since three years. His co-
worker is Señora Clotilde Yucra de Cayo. Beyond that they still have
three honorary co-workers. Under the name ``Radiodifusoras
A.N.D.E.S.`` the station began to transmit already in December 1996.
The former station name consists of the initial letters of the five
provinces in the Potosí department. The telecommunications authority
in La Paz however refused the transmission license at that time,
because Radio Los Andes from Tarija already existed as a radio
station of similar name. Only renaming in Radio Mallku, which is
Quéchua and means "condor", legalized the operation of the station.
Owner of Radio Mallku is the agricultural worker organization
``Frutcas``. An advisory board (Consejo de Administración) consisting
of five persons supervises the conversion of the resolutions of the
executive committee of the agricultural worker federation Frutcas
(Federación de Campesinos Frutcas). On the Campesino congress
(Congreso Campesino) the advisory board of the station as well as the
guidance of the organization Frutcas are elected for two years.
Therefore Señor Mamani is not the owner of Radio Mallku, but rather a
type of leading employee.

The Program

The administrative structures of Radio Mallku and the designation as
``Voz de los Trabajadores Campesinos del Altiplano Sud`` suggest the
primary mission of the station. Primarily the station is labor union
orientated and represents the interests of the Campesinos in the
southwest of the Bolivian department Potosí. On that reason apart
from Spanish also the Indio language Quéchua [sic] is used. Education
programs as well as health programs (``Programa de Mujer Salud``) are
dominating the program schedule. Like many other LA stations also
Radio Mallku broadcasts the so called "mensajes" (Quéchua:
Willaykunas). Music programs such as ``Ramilletes musicales`` can be
found in the program schema likewise.

Country and People

At the end of his letter Freddy Mamani describes the inhabitants of
the Uyuni region as lovable and hospitable people. In the highland
region of the Altiplano Sud prevails a relatively cold climate. Up to
the privatisation of the railways in the year 1994 Uyuni was an
important regional traffic junction. The most important attraction of
this area is the large salt desert with 12400 square kilometres. A
beautiful photo of the salt desert was attached to the QSL letter.
Mr. Mamani doesn't conceal the problems of his homeland and expresses
likewise that Potosí is the poorest Bolivian department. The living
conditions of the population partly are not satisfactory at all. A
lot of people emigrated to Argentina or Chile on the search for
better conditions of work and life. This led to a considerable
decrease of population in the Uyuni region.

vy 73 (Michael Schnitzer, Germany, June 22, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. Subject:  CBC summer programming - press release
from   http://cbc.ca/onair/jhtml/newsitem.jhtml?ID=1294

CBC RADIO ONE LAUNCHES FIVE NEW SERIES FOR ITS SUMMER SEASON JUNE 26
TO AUGUST 3

CBC Radio One's summer schedule is chock full of innovation and
creativity with programs that listeners can enjoy both on air and
online. "The summer is a time where we let loose and have some fun,
so CBC Radio is having fun too - with great new shows that push the
limits," says Susan Mitton, director of programming.

todradio.com Tuesday - June 27 to August 29 - 8 to 9 p.m. "tod," as
in host Tod Maffin, is a technology whiz/media guru who each week
takes listeners on a romp through a "keyword." The first week's
discussion is kicked off with Cyberlove, then it's on to Digital
Morality and Net Kids, Net Generation. Listeners can join Tod by
tuning in or logging on to get involved in the conversation.

First Call Wednesday - June 28 to August 30 - 11 a.m. to noon First
Call is CBC Radio's answer to listeners wanting to hear more stories
from other parts of the country. This series is CBC Radio's new
window on Canada, bringing a range of new voices and ideas to
listeners from CBC regional stations across Canada.

Road-Dot-Trip Friday - June 30 to September 1 - 8 to 8:30 p.m. Each
week, Jonathon Goldstein travels somewhere in Canada and unearths a
new and wonderful story. Listeners who tune in or go online help set
Goldstein's itinerary and virtually travel the country with him on
this interactive journey of discovery and fun.

The Other Story Friday - June 30 to September 1 - 8:30 to 9 p.m. Alan
Neal hosts this sassy, intelligent, witty and sometimes gossipy
program. Each week, Neal takes hold of the stuff of everyday life and
holds it up to the light. He explores a single idea, be it the
handbag, the deadline, the locker room or the death of a bachelor.
It's great Friday night fare for the drive out of town - or while
hanging in the backyard.

The Great Canadian Story Engine Friday - June 30 to September 1 - 9
to 9:30 a.m. This Morning presents stories from The Great Canadian
Story Engine, and David Gutnick is along for the ride. Actually, it's
three engines in one: The Virtual Engine, a new audio/Internet Web
site, where Canadians can share stories and images, The Living
Engine, a 30-foot trailer that will travel across Canada, and The
Learning Engine, a series of workshops that provide training on the
art of digital storytelling.

Detailed program information can be accessed online at
http://www.cbc.ca (CBC June 20 via Ricky Leong, Quebec, WORLD OF
RADIO 1041, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA [non]. UNITED KINGDOM Radio Canada International will be
running a special broadcast, in French, on [Sat] June 24th at 1400-
1600. Frequencies will be 9815 and 11925, both via Skelton. This is a
special broadcast for the Québec St-Jean-Baptiste holiday, with live
teams from Radio-Canada on Mont Jacques-Cartier in the Gaspé region,
and from RCI on Mount-Royal in downtown Montréal. The transmission
will also be run, in an edited version, in the Saturday 2000-2100 and
Sunday 0000-0100 UTC RCI French broadcasts. 73- (Bill Westenhaver,
Montréal, Québec, CANADA, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CONGO DR [non]. Re: BBCM report via DXLD that Radio Liberté,
15725, had not been heard since early April:

Heard by myself even later, e.g. on April 25 with African music.
(Erich Bergmann, Ansbach, Germany, hard-core-dx via DXLD)

** CUBA. (presumed), 5990, 2300-2330, China Radio International
English broadcast had a stong signal but very very weak audio - very
difficult to even understand the announcers. 0100-0200 on 9570 was
good but the audio still could be better at times (Lee Silvi, OH,
June 16, 17, 18, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. Finally a new entry for our subsite Oklahoma
Broadcasting News: an organized list of 61 Low Power FM applications
received by the FCC, including 5 in Enid; and some interesting
applicant names, especially in Tulsa. Also includes link to the
entire FCC list:
http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio/Oklahoma4.html
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** PERÚ. A new station has been heard on 6858v, not listed in WRTH
2000, R. Cultural Huacabamba [sic, presumably Huancabamba] ``La
Superior`` with folk music and Peruvian cumbias, program called
``Saludos Musicales``, listeners` requests fulfilled and commercials.
Heard form 2300 as late as 0200 sign-off (Braulio Hernández,
Manzanillo, Isla Margarita, Venezuela, Banda Tropical, Club DXistas
de la Amistad, June 21, translated by gh for DX LISTENING DIGEST) See
DXLD 00-75, 6857v ex-6535 (gh)

** RUSSIA. Only a month ago R. Slavyanka was heard twice daily over
R. Mayak. If I'm not mistaken, those were 7-min. broadcasts. But
recently an ironic thing happened: TWR took over R. Slavyanka's time
slots! I'd assume that R. Slavyanka used Mayak for free or almost for
free. So Mayak simply chose to break a worthless contract and instead
carry dollar-paying TWR. If R. Australia's people are somehow bitter
about what's happening with their SW facilities, imagine how Russian
military should feel! I heard some rumors that R. Slavyanka has an AM
frequency in Moscow which they use from time to time, without a set
schedule. Broadcasting is supposedly done from a military truck
located within or very near the city. Maybe Moscow DXers can update
us regarding this. To my best knowledge, R. Slavyanka has no SW
broadcasts. (Sergei Sossedkine, MI, hard-core-dx June 20 via DXLD)

** RUSSIA. The former Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev has
announced that starting July 1, 2000 "Radio Odin Kul'tura" (Radio 1
Culture) will resume its broadcasting thanks to a direct financial
assistance from his foundation. The station has already received
enough funding to broadcast for three months. Gorbachev broke this
news before the participants of the round table discussion sponsored
by the Gorbachev Foundation and formally devoted to the theoretical
issues of social democracy. Gorbachev did not rule out setting up his
own TV channel, although no details concerning a possible TV project
were provided. After May 9 Radio 1 lost its vast radio network
throughout Russia and Belorussia due to this station's huge debt. (As
reported by Radio Echo of Moscow on June 21, 2000) (Sergei Sossedkin,
MI, June 22, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SOLOMON ISLANDS. According to an SIBC newscast on Jun 22, Radio
Hapi Isles, 5020, will reduce its hours as of Monday, Jun 26th, due
to the continuing ``financial, security, and political situation in
the country.`` Instead of being on from 5:30 AM to midnight local,
the station will cut back to 6 AM to 10 PM local (0500-1100 UTC)
[sic; really 1900-1100 UT, in UT plus 11 zone -gh]. You can hear the
audio file of this item on the Cumbre DX website. (Dave Valko, PA,
Jun 22, Cumbre DX Special via DXLD)

** VENEZUELA. DX Information from the British DX Club (BDXC-UK). This
item forwarded from BDXC-UK member Nicholas Vaughan-Baker in Leigh-
on-Sea, Essex, UK: Ecos del Torbes, Venezuela, has returned to
4980kHz after apparantly being absent from this frequency for a few
weeks. Heard Sat/Sun night 17/18 June with usual programmes & strong
signal. Their ID included the following frequencies currently in use:
5990, 4980 & 780kHz. I tried 5990kHz but it was not audible here. Has
anybody heard 5990kHz and is this a replacement for previously used
9640kHz?? Nicholas Vaughan-Baker Leigh-on-Sea, England The above
information may only be reproduced if full credit is given to the
original contributor AND to the British DX Club (BDXC-UK). (via DXLD)

** ZIMBABWE [non]. Not a word on this week`s RN Media Network about
V. of the People; and we notice that Zimbabwe does not yet qualify as
a ``hot spot`` on their website when just rechecked at 0150 UT June
23; downplay! And RN has not responded to our inquiry if Madagascar
be involved. If VOP (and for that matter, VOA`s special Zimbabwe
service) were set up for this weekend`s elexions, they could soon be
history, so it would be nice if someone could get a directional fix
on 7215 before it be too late (Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###