BULLETIN: Hauser's SW/DX Report Aug 21

Categories: ADMIN, BULLETIN, CONDITION, CONTEST, EQUIPMENT, FM, INTERNET,
LIST, LOG, MEETING, NEWS, PIRATE, PUBLICATION, SCHEDULE, QSL, QUESTION.
or email Risto Kotalampi, rko@xxxxxxx
   GLENN HAUSER'S SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 97-10, August 21, 1997

[items from this report may be reproduced or re-reproduced only if
complete credit is maintained at all stages]

PUBLICATION. REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTING #153 is expected
to be mailed Aug 29, including an updated SHOWS WE LIKE schedule,
Loren Cox's column THE MEDIA MIND, John Norfolk's ham column WHAT'S
THE FREQUENCY, KENNETH?, a variety of articles. Sample $2.50 in
USA, US$3 or 6 IRC elsewhere; 10-issue subscriptions $26 to USA,
$27 to Canada, $28 to Mexico, $31 rest of Americas, $35 Europe,
$37 rest of world by airmail, US funds only on a US bank to Box
1684, Enid, OK 73702 USA.

THIS WEEK ON WORLD OF RADIO 907: Radio Shack's new receiver, DXing
Jupiter, propagation changes, RCI reports on its funding and fall
CBC programming, Mexican news including recording of XERTA, greeting
from Rich McVicar, when Star Radio, Liberia plans to start SW,
Mozambique active on 11 and 15 MHz, France on 25, Radio Free Asia
adds Lao--and much more. 907 air cycle on WWCR: Aug 21-26; RFPI:
Aug 22-29; WGTG: Aug 25-26; WRN Sound Store from 1645 Aug 23 (gh)

IRAQ.  RII's new external service frequency, 11785, continues to
be very erratic in schedule and modulation. Since I first discovered
English there on Aug 11, I've checked it virtually every day at
least in the 2230-2300 period. Even if there is a fair signal, there
has never been enough modulation or clarity to understand as much as
I did the first day. Speculation about jamming should include this
fact: Some of it may be against RFA via KNLS in Korean during the
2200-2300 hour (Glenn Hauser, OK, Aug 21 and WORLD OF RADIO 907)

IRELAND [non]. Mail to Emerald Radio Productions continues to be
returned by the Dublin GPO. Here's why:  P.O. box mail without a
district [zone] number is automatically insufficiently addressed.
The numeral "1" following "Dublin" is just the thing to slice through
all the red tape and get mail safely to its destination. So use:
Ememrald Radio, P.O. Box 100, Dublin 1, Ireland (Finbarr O'Driscoll,
WORLD OF RADIO 907)

MEXICO. XERTA, 4800.7, as of Aug 21 had not reappeared since Aug 15,
per daily checks at least around 0100, 0400 and 1200. Glad I have
more than two hours of the Aug 15 test on tape. Later that day, Hector
Garcia told me that they were stopping tests to work on a transmission
line but would be back as soon as possible (Glenn Hauser, OK)

MEXICO. Starting Aug 24, R. Huayacocotla, 2390 will be broadcasting
programs of XHUIB, R. Ibero, 100 watts on FM 90.9, which is audible
only next to the Universidad Iberoamericana Campus in Santa Fe, D.F.
(Hector Garcia B., Mexico, WORLD OF RADIO 907) Meanwhile, I have been
hearing XEJN again from *1200 sharp when its carrier slightly overlaps
WWCR at s/off. The two are within a few Hz of each other. Starts with
unmistakable Mexican NA making it clear this is not the Guatemalan.
Hard to copy here due to atmospheric and line noise levels, but Aug 19
I got the word "Huayacocotla" at 1204; Aug 20 "Radio Huayacocotla" at
1202; Aug 21 "XEJN, Radio Huayacocotla...500 watts" 1201. Reception is
improving word by word. After s/on goes into music around 1205. So far
not heard in the evening when the noise level is even worse. The B.S.
service of WWCR-4 currently uses 2390 at 0500-1200, but plans to expand
to 0300-1200 Sept. 1, perhaps from 0200 in the winter, depending on
how well the previous frequency 7435 holds up. We wonder how much and
exactly what times the R. Ibero programming will be on. The UIB has
long provided XEJN with a website full of info on its trouble with the
authorities and closedown in Oct 1995 (Glenn Hauser, OK)

MEXICO. R. Educacion plans to increase power soon to 50,000 watts, most
likely by November (Hector Garcia, Mexico, WORLD OF RADIO 907) I assume
he refers to 6185, presently announcing 5 kW, but generally with a
better signal than XERMX when QRM allows. Could DW possibly QSY? XEPPM
is enough to mar DW reception in return already. English IDs are often
included, but programming is primarily in Spanish, in the clear when I
often listen around 0200-0300, 1000-1100* (Glenn Hauser, OK) The August
program guide shows a DX program in Spanish, Comunicacion 6185 at these
UT: Wed 0200, Thu 0500, Fri 0600, Sat 0800, Sun 1000 (Hector Garcia,
Mexico, WORLD OF RADIO 907) Not UT Wed Aug 20 at 0200 when "Numismatica
Alegria" aired instead, nor UT Thu Aug 21 at 0200 on the history of
jazz in Mexico (Glenn Hauser, OK)                                 ###