EQUIPMENT: MFJ-1026 Deluxe Noise Canceling Signal Enhancer

EQUIPMENT: MFJ-1026 Deluxe Noise Canceling Signal Enhancer

Categories: ADMIN, BULLETIN, CONDITION, CONTEST, EQUIPMENT, FM, INTERNET,
LIST, LOG, MEETING, NEWS, PIRATE, PUBLICATION, SCHEDULE, QSL, QUESTION.
or email Risto Kotalampi, rko@xxxxxxx
Most, if not all have already seen Mark Connelly's postings about
this unit.  In a very short word - it works great!

Ordered my unit from R&L Electronics in Hamilton, Ohio.  Their phone
number is 800-221-7735.  Price is $115.00 plus actual shipping charge -
a nice discount from what you would pay direct from MFJ.  With the UPS
strike I expected it would be awhile before I got mine but it was shipped
by Priority Mail and arrived in only 2 days!  Every now and then my ex-
employer - the Postal Service - manages to do something right.

The mods that need to be done are extremely easy.  All the parts that
have to be removed/replaced are clearly marked and readily accessible.
I used a low wattage soldering iron and a pointed soldering aid to
gently pry the surface mount parts from the board.  The two .01 caps
were soldered directly back to the pads the 680 pfd units came from.
Whole operation took about 15 minutes.

Swap Switch - Have not done this mod to my unit yet but it will be no
problem to do.  I have an external switchbox which allows me to switch
any of my 4 slopers to either side of the phasing unit.  For those of
you like me - who prefer all controls to be on the front panel unless
it is "set and forget" - there is plenty of room on the front panel of
the unit to put this switch.  One good spot would be the upper right
side of the front panel where there is room for a full size toggle
switch.  Another possibility.  If you plan on using this unit as a
LW/MW Phasing Unit only, and will not be using it with a transceiver
it should be possible to remove the T/R Delay pot and mount the switch
in the hole it is in.

Peformance - As I said above it works just great.  Will agree with
Mark that it is a bit easier to use than his delay line units which
are easier to use than the L/C units.  After 3 days/2 nights of use I
haven't found anything I couldn't get rid of except for the usual
problems with high angle skip, skywave/groundwave combo, etc.  Like
all phasing units the higher you get in frequency the less useable
it is on skip.

Spurs - Have noticed absolutely no problems here but I am in a rather
low level RF area.  Only have 3 AM transmitters within 40 miles and
they are 250/500/5000 watts.

Not much more to say.  If you want to see the owners manual - less
schematic - it is on the MFJ Website at http://www.mfjenterprises.com.

With this unit now commercially available there is no longer any
excuse for anyone who wants a phasing unit not to have one.

73/DX

Al - K 4 G L U