or email Risto Kotalampi, rko@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 10:26:09 -0400
From: Adrian Peterson

Glenn,

        Thanks for your e-mail info which is received here regularly.

        Let me give you some further information on the LW station in
Europe.  I was in Iceland a few days ago, and I also heard this LW
station
on 189 kHz.  At the time, this channel was on the air with irregular
test
broadcasts and the  programming was in parallel with 207 kHz.  The 207
kHz
transmitter is an old one which is located on the northern edge of the
capital city of Reyjkavik and it radiates from a folded dipole antenna.
The
new transmitter is also at 100 kW and it is located at an old American
Conelrad base about 120 kM inland.  The antenna at this new location is
vertical mast radiator. This new station will take over the 207 service
and
the old 207 will be closed and retired.

        I asked, "Why does Iceland prefer to broadcast on LW rather than
MW?"  The answer I received is that LW serves two purposes in Iceland
very
satisfactorily.  The signal is a good steady signal over a wide area,
night
and day.  Then, during the long winter in Iceland, when darkness is
prolonged, European stations on MW come in so strong that they would
cause
interference to MW stations in Iceland.

        Another item of radio news from Iceland is in reference to the
regional LW station located at Eidar. Currently this station is on the
air
with 20 kW on 207.  Currently, this station is being upgraded to 100 kW
and
it will retain the 207 channel.

        I would suggest that those who need a QSL from Reykjavik 207
should
obtain it quite soon before it leaves the air for ever.

        Best wishes again, Glenn, and I listen to your program every
week.

AMP.